CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER Professionals Worldwide Surpasses 213,000
Number of CFP professionals has increased ten-fold since 1990, when CFP certification first went international
DENVER – 7 February 2023 – Financial Planning Standards Board Ltd. (FPSB), the standards-setting body for the global financial planning profession and owner of the international CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER certification program outside the United States, reports the number of CFP professionals worldwide has surpassed 213,000. With a gain of 9,690 CFP professionals last year, FPSB and its global network of organizations grew the number of CFP professionals worldwide by nearly 5% to a total of 213,002, as of 31 December 2022.
“We’re pleased to report the number of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER professionals worldwide continues to grow, reaching its highest ever at over 213,000. Our robust global community of CFP professionals means people around the world have access to financial planning from those who have committed to rigorous standards of competency, ethics and practice,” said FPSB CEO Dante De Gori, CFP. “With global economic uncertainty and the rising costs of living impacting so many, increased access to financial planning advice is of utmost importance to help individuals and families stay on track to reach their goals and achieve financial well-being.”
Americas and Asia-Pacific regions realized the highest increase of CFP professionals in 2022. The top six growth markets for CFP professionals were:
- People’s Republic of China, with an increase by FPSB China of 3,382 CFP professionals for a year-end count of 30,182, representing the second-largest CFP professional community in the world
- United States, with an increase by CFP Board of 3,082 CFP professionals for a year-end count of 95,137, representing the largest CFP professional community in the world
- Brazil, with an increase by Planejar – Associação Brasileira de Planejamento Financeiro of 1,245 CFP professionals for a year-end count of 8,630
- Japan, with an increase by Japan Association for Financial Planners of 1,034 CFP professionals for a year-end count of 25,098
- Canada, with an increase by FP Canada of 462 CFP professionals for a year-end count of 17,259
- Chinese Taipei, with an increase by Financial Planning Association of Taiwan of 410 CFP professionals for a year-end count of 2,842
The six territories with double-digit growth rates in the number of CFP professionals last year were Thailand (21.1%), Brazil (16.9%), Chinese Taipei (16.9%), Israel (16.6%), People’s Republic of China (12.6%) and Singapore (10.8%).
“Increasing the number of CFP professionals nearly two and a half times globally since FPSB’s creation in 2004 reinforces the value CFP certification holds in the global financial planning profession,” added De Gori. “With 26 years of continuous growth of CFP professionals, we are grateful for FPSB’s network of organizations and the hundreds of thousands of CFP professionals who support the advancement of the financial planning profession, with CFP certification its symbol of excellence.”
For further details on worldwide CFP professional growth in 2022, view FPSB’s infographic.
About FPSB Ltd.
FPSB manages, develops and operates certification, education and related programs to benefit the global community by establishing, upholding and promoting worldwide professional standards in financial planning. FPSB demonstrates its commitment to excellence with the marks of professional distinction – CFP, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER and – which it owns internationally. FPSB and the FPSB global network administer CFP certification and other programs in the following 27 territories: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Chinese Taipei, Colombia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, People’s Republic of China, Peru, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States. At the end of 2022, there were 213,002 CFP professionals worldwide. For more, visit fpsb.org.
# # #
CFP Certification Global excellence in financial planning™