Noel Maye To Step Down As Financial Planning Standards Board Ltd. CEO
DENVER, COLO – 19 May 2022 – Financial Planning Standards Board Ltd. (FPSB), the standards-setting body for the global financial planning profession and owner of the international CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER certification program, today announced that founder CEO Noel Maye will step down from his leadership role of the organization, effective 31 December 2022.
Maye has led the organization since it was established in December 2004. Under his leadership, FPSB and the FPSB Network has:
- Grown the organization’s geographical reach from 17 territories to programs in 27 territories, with discussions ongoing in several more territories;
- Doubled the number of CFP professionals worldwide from 89,690 (YE’04) to 203,312 (YE’21);
- Increased the number of CFP professionals worldwide ten-fold since 1990, when CFP certification first went international, from 20,353 to 203,312;
- Developed global financial planning competency, ethics and practice standards and certification requirements, including creating the first Global Financial Planner Competency Profile;
- Published global position papers and practice guidance notes including: Regulation and Oversight of the Financial Planning Profession (2010); Fintech and the Future of Financial Planning (2016); Consumer Protection and Investment Advisor, Financial Advisor and Financial Planner Competency and Oversight in Europe (2018); and Advising Vulnerable Clients (2019);
- Joined, in 2012, the International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) to represent the voice of the financial planning community during global regulatory policy discussions;
- Joined, in 2015, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development’s International Network on Financial Education to promote inclusion of financial planning in global literacy efforts;
- Conducted global research and promoted findings on: firms’ perspectives on CFP certification and hiring CFP professionals (2012); consumer attitudes towards financial planning (2015); and the current and future practice of financial planning (2016, 2021);
- Launched, in 2017, World Financial Planning Day during IOSCO’s World Investor Week to promote the value of financial planning and working with CFP professionals; and
- Submitted responses on behalf of the public and global CFP professional community to consultations from IOSCO, OECD, European Commission and European Supervisory Authorities on matters relating to regulation of financial advice, investor protection and financial literacy.
“It’s been my privilege to have served the international CFP certification program, global financial planning profession and FPSB for two decades,” said FPSB CEO Noel Maye.
“I’m humbled by what the FPSB team, FPSB Network and global CFP professional community have collectively achieved on behalf of the public and the profession. The time is right for me to step back, support the transition to FPSB’s next CEO, and cheer on the FPSB board, team and global financial planning community to new heights,” he said.
FPSB Board Chairperson, Garry Muriwai, extended his thanks to Noel for his drive and passion for the FPSB mission and vision.
“FPSB has achieved a lot and substantially raised the global profile of financial planning and CFP certification under Noel’s leadership. The FPSB Board and I are grateful for his contribution and leadership and appreciate his commitment to supporting an orderly transition to a new CEO later this year,” he said.
The FPSB Board of Directors has begun working with the FPSB leadership team and an external consultant on the CEO transition process. While the Board has pre-identified a strong candidate, FPSB is committed to a fair, transparent approach to evaluating internal and external candidates for the position. Candidates interested in the role can submit a cover letter and resume/curriculum vitae to TransitionCommittee@fpsb.org by Friday, 10 June.
About FPSB Ltd.
FPSB manages, develops and operates certification, education and related programs to benefit the global community by establishing, upholding and promoting worldwide professional standards in financial planning. FPSB demonstrates its commitment to excellence with the marks of professional distinction – CFP, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER and CFP Logo Mark – which it owns outside the United States. FPSB and the FPSB global network administer CFP certification and other programs in the following 27 territories: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Chinese Taipei, Colombia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, People’s Republic of China, Peru, Republic of Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Thailand, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States. At the end of 2021, there were 203,312 CFP professionals worldwide. For more, visit fpsb.org.
# # #
CFP Certification Global excellence in financial planning™