Process to Become an FPSB Affiliate
The process to become a full Affiliate of FPSB (authorized to exclusively offer CFP certification in a territory) generally follows a two-step process, whereby an organization first becomes an Associate and then an Affiliate. To be considered for FPSB affiliation, an organization should:
- Be registered as a nonprofit organization (or its equivalent).
- Be, or be capable of, becoming the premier financial planning organization in a territory, with a broad base of support from key stakeholders.
- Provide proof of financial stability, and the resources necessary to develop the programs and processes needed to administer the CFP certification program.
- Be able to send at least one representative to FPSB global meetings during the application process, and petition in person for Associate status with FPSB.
- Be capable of meeting all criteria and requirements for FPSB affiliation within two years of becoming an Associate.
- Complete an FPSB evaluation during each step of the affiliation process to ensure readiness to meet FPSB affiliation requirements.
1. How to Become an Associate of FPSB
To become an Associate of FPSB, the prospective organization first enters into a confidentiality agreement with FPSB to allow information to be freely shared between the two organizations.
Then, the prospective organization develops a business plan, based on FPSB’s template that describes the entity’s legal status, mission, vision, goals and objectives for establishing a CFP certification program in its territory. The plan also includes revenue projections and a timeline for implementation. FPSB provides feedback and assistance to the prospective organization, and the prospective organization attends a global FPSB meeting to petition FPSB’s Board of Directors and FPSB Council for FPSB Associate status.
While Associates are not authorized to award CFP certification to individuals in a territory, or vote on FPSB matters, they have full participation in FPSB Council activities and discussions, leveraging mutual experiences and gaining knowledge and support from the FPSB network.
2. How to Become an Affiliate of FPSB
An Associate of FPSB works with staff to develop the processes, procedures and program elements needed to administer CFP certification in a territory, based on FPSB’s global standards. When the Associate has all of the elements it needs to independently administer CFP certification in a territory, it can petition the FPSB Board of Directors and FPSB Council for Affiliate status.
FPSB Affiliates administer CFP certification in a territory, and have full voting rights in FPSB. Affiliate representatives can be nominated for an elected position on the FPSB Council or FPSB Board of Directors. FPSB conducts regular assessments to ensure that Affiliates maintain FPSB’s program standards and certification requirements.